From: James Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Horn Lives
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 09:23:45

At 02:27 PM 2/18/2001 -0500, ADG wrote:

>I agree with you that Oreb all along has strong aspects as a Holy
>Spirit figure.  Given this, what do you think the significance of
>Oreb's possession by Scylla is?  This whole Scylla-in-Oreb thing is
>strange.  It is hinted at before RTTW, as members of the list
>suggested, but it makes little enough sense that I sort of placed it
>in the category of "why is Scylla emphasized when she hasn't had much
>role in RTTW?  Beats me."

         I don't know. I have the impression that Wolfe writes these books
in layers, adding layer after layer of additional stories until we get a
whole tapestry. We've got the Odyssey here, but also a medieval pilgrimage
to the holy land to get relics with adventures along the way. And also
occasional reference to St. Paul, it seems (e.g., tearing out eyes to give
to others). We've got Oreb as Holy Spirit, but also then layered over that,
Oreb as Computer-Menarche-Scylla.
         I guess the question is: Are all these layers supposed to fit
together perfectly somehow, or are they just different layers?

Patera Nutria