From: Dan Rabin <wolfe-lists@danrabin.com>
Subject: (whorl) Not using Quadrifons's name
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:38:24

There are injunctions in the Torah against using the name of God,
including one in the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20:7).  The name, which
occurs in written form throughout the Torah, is not pronounced when
reading the text out loud; indeed, it is not currently known how to
pronounce it.  In most English translations the name is given as "the
Lord", which is a translation of the Hebrew word that is substituted
for the name when read aloud.

This makes sense as a manifestation of the Outsider, especially in
association with an exodus!  If the principal narrator of _Short Sun_
indeed communicated with Quadrifons, this would echo Moses, who spoke
to God face to face.

Aside: I myself tend to view these correspondences as associational
rather than allegorical.  Wolfe doesn't have to write the Bible--it's
already written.  We spend a lot of time here trying to make all the
puzzle pieces fit together, but I'm not sure they're meant to.
SIlk/Horn might still have Mosaic coloration, even if he wasn't
denied entrance to Blue by the Outsider, and even if he didn't have a
brother as high priest...hmm... Quetzal as Aaron?  Naah.

   -- Dan Rabin