From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: (whorl) IGJ timeframe and Severian
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:40:51

Peeter Piegaze (hello there!) wrote:

>Perhaps it has already been discussed (and if so, could someone please point
>me to relevant part of the archive) but did anyone else notice that when
>Horn and company go back to the Red Sun Whorl (Urth) in IGJ the commotion
>they cause at the gate to the citadel is, I think, the same commotion that
>Severian notices at the beginning of Shadow of the Torturer where he
>comments briefly about "a disturbance at the gate". I don't have either book
>with me right now, but perhaps someone can find he exact passages and see if
>this makes sense.

Nick Gevers was the first to suggest that the arrival of Horn and co. at
the citadel explains the guard's absence at the necropolis gate on the day
that Severian nearly drowned (I, ch. 1).  (Your phrase "disturbance at the
gate" sounds more like whatever it was that happened at the gate of Nessus.)

=mantis=

Sirius Fiction
Catalog and errata sheet at http://www.sirius.com/~mantis/