From: Peter Westlake <peter@harlequin.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (whorl) IGJ: altar scene *Spoiler*
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:45:01 +0000

At 02:15 2000-12-29 -0500, E Dorian wrote:
>Hi Everybody,
>
>So, recently I decided to read all of the Sun books in order, timing it so
>that when I finished IGJ, RTTW would come out and I would jump to that.
>Well, I am behind; I am about to finish Urth of the New Sun.  But I may have
>discovered something interesting.  I was on page 356 of Urth:
>
>     "I felt as real as I ever have; and when I searched among my memories,
>I found Valeria there still, and Thecla and old Autarch, and the boy
>Severian(who had been Severian only).  "No," I said.  "We will live."
>
>Adam's quote from IGJ:  "I knew that he was there, that if I turned, I would
>see them."
>
>Severian stopped being "one" person, so to speak.  He uses "I" throughout
>his entire narrative, but sprinkles the "we's" around on occasion.
>
>Severian uses "I" and "we", the IGJ passage uses "he" and "them", so, have I
>unurthed evidence that Severian is The Outsider?

I see what you mean, but I think "them" refers to the Outsider and the
rather large baletiger that helps Horn. Severian talks a lot about "the
Increate" and "the Pancreator" in very much the terms of a man talking
about a deity, and that's who the Outsider is, I'm sure.

Spectacled Bear (really wearing spectacles today).