From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Horn and Sinew's enmity (part 1)
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 15:46:11

Fernando Q. Gouvea wrote:

> One thing that these quotes suggest is that (at the beginning, at least)
> there is more enmity on Horn's part than on Sinew's. [snip] So I am under the impression that this
> hatred and distrust is Horn's doing at some level. But why?

That's my impression too.  According to IGJ, the extreme poverty Horn
and Nettle underwent during their first years on Blue was caused partly
by Nettle's being pregnant with Sinew and later having to feed him.  I
once suggested (in connection with a speculation as to the Secret, which
I won't repeat), that this may have led Horn to consciously or
unconsciously wish Sinew dead.  Even if my speculation as to the Secret
is wrong, my guess at Horn's feelings may be right, and Horn's guilt at
these feelings may unconsciously lead him to ascribe his own hostility
to Sinew.

--Adam