From: "Josh Levitan" <josh_levitan@hotmail.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v011.n032
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 13:25:27 PDT

Then Peter Westlake wrote:

>I suggested this a while ago, but alga had some evidence that they
>really could:
>

> >Yes, they really can (see LS3, the end). They shut down their breathing.
> >But they can't do it for very long distances, only when the two worlds
>are
> >at their closest conjunction. They come to Blue to feed (assuming that
>the
> >Green colonists are not enough for them), but they need to return to
>Green
> >to breed. Landers are not part of the scenario, as they are not good with
> >tools (Krait pretty much tells us this).
>
>Of course, they do have human slaves, now. I can't look up the passage
>alga cites until I get home; anyone recall the details?
>
>As for the science, I might believe they could survive re-entry,
>being able to spread their wings like a parachute, but then how
>would it be possible to kill them by burning? Horn reports seeing
>this during his visit to (?)Skano.

I'm gonna have to agree with Borski on this one.  They can fly, and survive
buried/in a vaccuum.  But how the hell can they reach escape velocity and
survive re-entry.  Horn's explanation is very poor medieval-level science
indeed, and it never even occurred to me until Borski pointed it out.

Narwhal

http://profiles.msn.com.