From: jclute@cix.compulink.co.uk (John Clute)
Subject: Re: (whorl) Clute's Non-Revelation
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 19:02 +0100 (BST)

Patera Nutria,
        Have just joined WHORL, and don't know etiquette within this
august Theatre, but thought I'd tie this to yours on Silk to indicate my
intuition that you are probably (though, as you say) not absolutely
certainly right. That fasting is what Silk does escaped my memory,
certainly, when I was laying down a first _reading_ response to
_In Green's Jungles_ .
        But to make it absolutely clear what _I_ was doing: no revelations
were being hoicked into view, certainly not at this stage: I was laying
down for readers far more general than WHORL's List some sense of the
pattern of the book: it was, implicitly, an invocation to read out in the
open.
        Oreb as Holy Spirit. Very fine. Especially if the bird, in human
terms, could be defined as a giant paraclete.

Best,
John C