From: "Kevin J. Maroney" <kmaroney@ungames.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) IGJ Thoughts
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 12:32:32

At 11:14 AM 8/9/00 -0500, Patera Nutria wrote:
>	4. Part of the secret of the inhumi is that they not only take on human
>characteristics when they drink us, but that they acquire "image of God"
>souls as well. Thus, when astrally projecting, their human souls become
>clear; it is what is projected. If they were still animals, they could not
>join the projection.

Oreb projects right along with Incanto and Jahlee, but Oreb isn't "human".

>	Also, recall that in OBW we have a sad scene of a chained slave girl.
>Humans also practice slavery. (I'm surprised human sacrifice has not made
>more of an appearance in these books, as it was common all over the ancient
>world, and does appear in the Soldier books.)

If I recall correctly, there is some discussion of human sacrifice in _Long
Sun_--it's condemned as an abomination, and at the same time is recognized
as the most powerful sacrifice. The talking animals--Oreb and the talking
cat--are assumed to be valuable sacrifices because they are like humans.

Which, hmm, maybe indicates that Oreb *does* have a human-like soul....

--
Wombat, a.k.a. Kevin Maroney kmaroney@ungames.com
Kitchen Staff Supervisor, New York Review of Science Fiction