From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (whorl) OBW: a minor mystery
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 22:59:24

I have just finished IGJ. Although I hadn't intended to, I re-read
OBW in its entirety first. I certainly noticed several things that I
hadn't the first two times I read it but one trivial point stuck in
my mind. I am going into great depth about this point, even though I
say it is trivial because Wolfe must have had something definite in
mind here and it seems as if it is possible to figure it out, to some
degree, at least.

It is a matter of the units of measure Horn mentions in OBW. The most
common unit mentioned is the "hand". I did a little horseback riding
long go and seemed to recall that that a hand was 4 inches (10.16
cm). Webster's Third International Dictionary confirmed this and
didn't reveal any other measurements associated with hand. Horn also
uses cubit as a measurement frequently. According to the dictionary
(and my own memory) the historical length of a cubit is uncertain but
it is generally agreed to have been about 18 inches (45.72 cm).

The problem I have with this is that the way Horn uses hand it seems
as if it must be a unit closer to 8 inches (20.32 cm). Otherwise
certain passages in OBW don't seem to make sense. For example (I have
added my own notes in square brackets):

----------------------
Earlier I wrote that she [Mucor] is not tall, but that was
misleading. Majesty is not a mere matter of a hand or two over the
eight.
----------------------
OBW, p. 106, lines 4-6

----------------------
The blade [of Sinew's hunting knife] was a hand and two fingers in
length, two fingers wide [...]
----------------------
OBW, p. 144, lines 30-31

----------------------
My own height, I should say was three cubits and two hands at that
time -- a good deal less than it is now.
----------------------
OBW, p. 196, lines 3-4

Now, I interpret the first passage I quote above to mean that eight
hands is the average height for a woman (or person in general) and
that a hand or two over that would be (majestically, to shallow
thinkers) tall. But eight traditional hands is only 32 inches (81.28
cm), far too short for a full grown woman, unless being on _The
Whorl_ has somehow turned all the colonists into midgets. But if we
say a hand on Blue is 8 inches, then eight hands becomes 64 inches
(162.56 cm), a much more reasonable average height for a woman, at
least by modern standards. If it is 7 inches (17.78 cm) then eight
hands becomes 56 inches (142.24 cm), short by modern standards, but
still reasonable.

The second passage describes Sinew's hunting knife, which Horn refers
to as long at least once.

----------------------
I loaned Maytera the long hunting knife Sinew had given me, and held
my fish steady for her.
----------------------
OBW, p. 9,1 lines 30-31

If a hand is the traditional measure, and assuming a finger is an
inch (which is not necessarily a safe assumption), then the blade
would be 6 inches (15.24 cm) long. Now, I don't think that qualifies
as a long hunting knife. However if a hand is 8 inches, then the
blade becomes 10 inches (25.4 cm) long. If 7, then 9 inches (22.86
cm). A hunting knife with a blade of this length seems to me to more
appropriately be described as long.

For the third passage I am assuming a cubit is 18 inches (45.72 cm),
which is certainly questionable if hand represents a non-traditional
measure, but if Wolfe has redefined all units of measure then nothing
definite can be established. With this assumption, Horn's height is
62 inches or 5 feet 2 inches (157.48 cm) using the traditional
measure for a hand. Surely this is a bit short. If we assume that a
hand is 8 inches then Horn's height is 70 inches or 5 feet 10 inches
(177.8 cm) which seems more like it. If we have a 7 inch hand then
Horn is 68 inches or 5 feet 8 inches (172.72 cm) tall.

Now all the units of measure used by Horn are based on the lengths of
parts of the body. A 'finger' is probably the width of a finger,
between 0.5 (1.27 cm) and 1 inch (2.54 cm). A cubit is the length
from the elbow to the tip of the longest outstretched fingertip (18
inches). A traditional hand is the width of the palm of the hand (4
inches). But perhaps Wolfe is thinking of the distance from the tip
of the thumb to the tip of the pinkie when the fingers are spread as
far as possible. This is traditionally known as a "span" and is
traditionally 9 inches (22.86 cm). Or perhaps Wolfe version of 'hand'
is measured from the base of the hand the the tip of the middle
finger (which might well come to between 7 and 8 inches).

Another thing we need to know before we can reach any definite
conclusions is whether the units of measure Horn is using are
standard (like current English units such as the foot) or not. In the
latter case, each person would use his or her own foot to measure out
a length, to continue with the same example.

Well, I have gone on far too long about this, so I'll stop here.

--
William Ansley