From: "Christopher Culver" <new_sun@hotmail.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n136
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:13:17 GMT

Here's the good ol' spoiler space, which I hope we can do away with soon:

Dan Rabin wrote:
>P.S.  Has it occurred to anyone else that Silk "sits as the right
>head of God"?  Couldn't resist--sorry.

Yeah, and that's what baffles me about Horn's religious notions: he still
thinks Pas is a god and can still be compared to the Outsider. One would
hope that the fact that Typhon was a madman will be made perfectly clear for
Horn in the next volume. In the meantime, he's blaspheming the Outsider
numerous times through his worship of an idol, but doesn't quite realize it.

Horn's performance of the Eucharist at the altar of the Neighbors must be
one of the finest scenes Wolfe has even written. "On Blue's Waters" lacked
the depth of Catholic symbolism that the BotLS had, but IGJ really brings it
back. It was rather amuzing to see Horn telling Hide to call him "Father"
(as if a priest) right after he tells of the experience of the altar. It
also made me think that, in the religious context of the BotLS and BotSS,
Horn *is* a priest: he's the representative of the Son (Silk) on Earth
(well, Blue).

Christopher Culver <new_sun@hotmail.com>