From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Dr. Crane's plot
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 10:56:25

At 03:34 PM 6/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:

  My hypothesis is
>that Wolfe wants it to be possible to explain this "scientifically" by
>assuming Silk's mysterious talents go this far (Silk seems to be the
>only one actually doing this in Long Sun) or some such, but really to
>lean us towards the assumption that Silk is being given signs by the
>Outsider, who clearly doesn't mean "you will be given no help" in quite
>the way you or I would.

>Alex David Groce (agroce+@cs.cmu.edu)

	I suggest the Ruler's words to Westwind in "Westwind," to the effect that
He prefers not to interfere openly, but behind the scenes. I suggest that
Silk's "mysterious talents" are quickened by his baptismal encounter with
the Outsider, and with the arrival of Oreb (both the Holy Spirit and also
from Germanic lore) as a kind of cryptic guide. Thus, it's not just Silk's
talents, but those talents as guided by the Outsider.

Nutria