From: "Jonathan Laidlow" <LAIDLOJM@hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: (whorl) CFP: Gene Wolfe (UK) 26th August 2000
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 15:06:24 GMT

CALL FOR PAPERS  - UK conference on GENE WOLFE

Saturday 26th August 2000, University of Birmingham, UK

Papers of 20-30 minutes in length are invited for a proposed one day
symposium on the work of the US science fiction author Gene Wolfe. The
symposium will take place on Saturday the 26th August 2000 in the
Department of English at the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom.

Gene Wolfe is one of the most highly acclaimed writers of science fiction
alive today. The Clute & Nicholls Science Fiction Encyclopedia (1992) says
of him that,

‘Though neither the most popular nor the most influential author in the sf field,
Gene Wolfe is today quite possibly the most important.’

His major works include ‘The Book of the New Sun’, ‘The Book of the
Long Sun’, ‘The Fifth Head of Cerberus’, ‘Peace’, ‘Free Live Free’,
‘Castleview’ and his current work, ‘The Book of the Short Sun’

Deadline for proposals: 20th June 2000.

Abstracts should be of no more than 500 words. Papers can be on any
aspect of Wolfe’s work. Please contact me if you are interested in
contributing.

We apologise for the short deadline but hope that this will not put people off
proposing papers or attending the conference.

Those interested in attending the conference should email or write to me at
the address below to be put on the mailing list for further details as they
become available.

In June 2000 we will be launching  Ultan’s Library - an electronic journal
dedicated to studies of Wolfe’s work will be launched on the University of
Birmingham’s website. Further details are available from the address below.
The URL will be posted nearer that time.

Organiser: Jonathan Laidlow,
Email:
j.m.laidlow@bham.ac.uk
ultan01@yahoo.co.uk

Conference webpage:
http://members.tripod.co.uk/laidlow/ultan/

Postal Address:
Jonathan Laidlow
Modern Languages & Classics
University of Birmingham
 Edgbaston
Birmingham
B15 2TT
United Kingdom.

Please forward this email to anyone who might be interested.
If you have received this email and you are not interested please accept our
apologies.