From: "Alice Turner" <pei047@attglobal.net>
Subject: (whorl) Pas, Silk and Horn
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 13:10:12

Adam asked:

.> Is there textual evidence from TBOTLS that Silk may be in a two-headed
> Pas body? (It's been a while since I reread it.)

Near the end of the last book Kypris appears in a Window and says seductively, "Silk, wouldn't you like to be like Pas? We'd be together then....They can scan you in at Mainframe. As I was scanned, Silk, with him. He held my hand....You'll go on with your life, Silk. Just as it is. You'd be Pas too. And he would be you. Look."

And she shows him the image of a "bronze-limbed man with rippling muscles and two heads." One is Silk's.

But there isn't the least textual evidence that he took her up on it. It would seem most un-Silk-like (though Hy would jump at it--and mantis sometimes seems to think that Hy is an aspect of Kypris--and he'd follow her anywhere). Still, it's intriguing enough to have prompted discussion. And it gives the lupine trickster an out if he wants to put Horn in Silk's body, but still wants to have Silk around when we Return to the Whorl. I don't buy young newt's clone theory: too easy, too trite.

-alga