From: Bobosmash@aol.com
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v010.n066
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:46:27 EST

Greetings to all,
   Long time listener, first time caller. After reading the latest post. I
feel I need to reread OBW again, immediately.

  -- The Venus thing is an interesting guess.  Perhaps, through the
relativistic
effects of vast interstellar travel over the three hundred years or so the
ship was in transit (if I'm remembering correctly), it did manage to do a
boomerang/Planet of the Apes deal and head back to Urth after the new sun
arrived, encountering a flooded Urth (which fits with New Sun) and a green
Venus.  However, what happened to the remaining seven planets?--

    I like this idea. I like it a lot. I feel the lack of the rest of the
system is pretty insignificant. It's the far future. Many civilizations
(including Urth ( both terrestrial and extraterrestrial nature )) seem to
have the engineering skills to do away with those useless hunks of dead rock.
No asteroid belt either. I would think that the biggest factor against a
pretty reasonable sounding guess is the fact that Gene Wolfe is never that
easy.

   After I finish OBW again, I'l try to contribute something a little more
constructive to this very helpful tome.

Pete Clark