From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Mucor's fish
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 23:30:26

Joel Priddy <jpriddy@saturn.vcu.edu> wrote:

>When I read the part where Mucor said the fish would be waiting on a rock,
>I just assumed that she possessed the fish, and drove them to leap out of
>the water. I was confused that Horn, who clearly knows all about Mucor's
>ability, didn;t assume this as well. So what am I missing? Is it stated
>somewhere in Long Sun that Mucor can't possess little-brained animals, or
>something?

I have to admit that when I read the fish story, I thought: telekinesis.
Then when Horn thought someone else was responsible, I remembered: Oh,
yeah. Mucor doesn't telekines (say tel-u-kin-ees... it's a joke).

I agree that Mucor possessing the fish seems to satisfy Occam's razor
better than invoking a mysterious third party but I just don't remember the
extent of Mucor's powers. As far as I can remember, the only beings she
possessed in _The Book of the Long Sun_ were human. Aside from possession,
the only other power she has that I recall is the "astral projection"
ability that she uses to talk to Silk, at Horn's request, in _On Blue's
Waters_.

Of course, we only have her word for it that she actually "talked" to Silk
and for what he "said" to her.

William Ansley