From: Bill Carmichael <bcarmichael1@Home.com>
Subject: (whorl) SEVERIAN AT THE PIT?
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 19:14:34

I agree with Tom Urash when he says:

>  I keep telling myself  this isn't plausible -  but, am I the only one
> getting a creepy feeling reading the above passage and remembering how
> Severian almost inevitably used the claw by holding it to the forehead?

I strongly concur, on both points! (a) it seems very implausible, and (b) the similarity is striking, to say the least.  I read OBW in three days, and apparently not carefully enough, because until the quote Tom that refers to was cited in a previous message on this list, I'd forgotten (or never noticed) that this incident had even occurred.  To me it seems very much in keeping with Wolfe's style to drop a hint like this in the midst of things.  "Like this" here meaning painfully obvious only after somebody else has pointed out.