From: Dan Parmenter <dan@lec.com>
Subject: (whorl) more grist for the "enhanced Horn hypothesis"
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 07:42:35

Last night I was re-reading the passage in OBW where Horn visits
Marble and Mucor.  Maytera Marble alludes to Hammerstone's deep
fondness for Patera Incus, which as I recall, was a small
"improvement" that Incus made, he being of the "hacker priest" class.
A paragraph or two later, Horn laments the fact that the BOOK OF SILK
doesn't convey just how great Silk really was.  Hmmm!  This may be a
red herring, but given its textual proximity to Marble's observation
and the fact that we have ample evdience of how human "software" can
be re-jiggered by the will of the gods, it wouldn't surprise me to
discover that Horn's perception of Silk has been enhanced.

Given the Wolfean "unreliable narrator," it makes you start to wonder
if the Silk of the BOOK OF SILK is something of an exaggeration, which
would certainly fit in with the Christ parallels.  Silk is portrayed
as a kind of Father Brown, but perhaps in "real life" he was more of a
Father Ted.

Another random observation: "Passilk" immediately made me think of
"Tashlan" from C.S. Lewis' THE LAST BATTLE.

Lex