From: "David Lebling" <David_Lebling@avid.com>
Subject: (whorl) Writing
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:25:25

Patrick O'Leary writes:
<<But then there was that unspoken agenda which Nettle intuited--"They don't
want us to write anymore." Not sure I get that.>>

Horn gives a short summary of the reception his (and Nettle's) book has
received.  The precis is that it has been much more popular than he expected it
to be.  (It might sell as many twenty copies! -- Does anyone else see a wry
comment on the publishing industry here?)

Horn's experiences have made him less sure of the Vironese faith that he
appeared to be in TBotLS.  We might guess that Silk's doubt is one component of
that, a doubt well-presented in _The Book of Silk_.  So, it isn't much of leap
to see the book as a socially disruptive force, one that the local
powers-that-be would just as soon see silenced.  In fact, they might have been
happier to see Nettle, she of the "small, neat hand," go on the expedition.

     -- Dave Lebling
     (aka vizcacha)