From: Matthew Malthouse <matthew.malthouse@guardian.co.uk>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Theophanies, Silk's end
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 16:15:20

Alice Turner wrote:

> Greg, I don't think it's "explained," but does it need to be? Once you've
> had a look at Echidna and Scylla in action, wouldn't you do your best to
> keep them off-screen as well? Plus there is the destruction of the Pas
> program, which may have loosed the others to do their worst. Quetzal,
> despite his need for a meal beyond beef tea once is a while, generally seems
> to be a benign figure.

Quetzal appears benign from the point of view of the human protagonists. But
his motives are not explained to them, or to us. Why does he want to see the
completion of the Plan of Paz? It's outcome would be to send humans to either
Blue or Green - the one to a fragile saftey, the other to what is seemingly
the home of the vampires. It looked to me as if he was seeking to send a new
food supply to his relatives. Not so benign really.

Matthew