From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit@moonmilk.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Whorl language
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:04:26

Rostrum:
    I assume that, just as Wolfe explained that /terminus est/ is not really
    Latin but a language as archaic to speakers of Severian's language as
    Latin is to English, just so the languages in Long Sun are not really
    English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, etc. but languages that have an
    analogous relationship to each other.

Hmm, it seems this was discussed way back in Whorl volume 2 starting with my #67:
    http://www.moonmilk.com/whorl/archives/v2.html#67

It still worries me that French and Latin are mentioned by name, though.  If Wolfe mentioned a
historical person by name (say, Neil Armstrong), it would be hard to argue that he really meant someone
else, analogous to our Neil Armstrong.