From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Failed Candyland?
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:25:22

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

At 03:53 PM 9/11/97 GMT, Mantis wrote:

>It may also be that Gene Wolfe brings the hard-nosed questioning of a
>Protestant to the arena usually reserved for unquestioning faith.

	I think that may well be true. There is the remark somewhere that the dead
do not communicate with the living, else they would rule this world from
beyond the grave. Not a very RC thought, but certainly a Protestant one.
	I questioned Wolfe pretty carefully (as carefully as I thought I had
permission to do), thinking perhaps he was on the liberal wing of
Catholicism (a la Teilhard de Chardin); but from all I could tell, he is a
conservative Thomist, pretty much in line with the Papacy on all the
important matters.

Nutria

<--prev V7 next-->