From: "Kieran Cleary" <kierannwn@tinet.ie>
Subject: Re: (whorl) A couple of points
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 15:19:56 +0100

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> When Kypris shows Silk the picture of Pas, with Silk as one of the heads,
> I asked "which head"?  Is this a picture of the original plan where
> Typhon's "head" rules Silk's body?  Is Kypris turning it around, offering
> to download Silk's personality and use Silk's "head" to rule the
partially
> assembled Pas program?  I wouldn't be surprised if she did that with or
> without Silk's consent and that in the next series we find that "Pas" is
> now an amalgam of Silk and Typhon.

Cool. I hadn't really thought of that. Godly duplicity again. Seems more
than reasonable, despite Typhon's apparent rehabilitation, that Silk,
already accepted as Calde, would merely be used as a mount. Although, as I
quibbled (much) earlier, I have trouble with Pas having to graft his head
onto   some hapless subject for locomotive and presentational reasons when
the technology for personality downloading existed. His appearance as the
two-headed one in tBotNS indicates that he never availed of this
technology. Why not? Although, quibbles aside, I agree that Kypris'
depiction of Silk's head sharing a body with Typhon is, at the very least,
ambiguous.

lasrach

Sun]

> On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Kevin J. Maroney wrote:
>
> > Second, I have a question about how long the _Whorl_ was actually in
> > flight, and have not been able to find any discusson of this particular
> > piece, nor is my memory of the text good enough to confirm it. Sometime
in
> > the portion of the novel in which Rose/Marble sees the airship, she
thinks
> > about how long she's been around, and comes up with an answer of three
> > hundred years. Then she realizes that she must have misplaced a decimal
> > somewhere.
> >
> > Does anyone else have any memory of this? The dilapidation of the
_Whorl_
> > is much more credible if it has been in flight for 3000 years.
Certainly

http://moonmilk.volcano.org/whorl/