From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: (whorl) Voided Cross
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 10:44:04

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Freom Wolfe's answers to our questions:

> 18.  "Describe . . . a voided cross and a gammadion."  A gammadion is
> any figure composed of gamma-shaped pieces.  The most common
> gammadions are the swastika and the voided cross.  (The swastika is
> ancient, by the way, and is found in both East Indian and American
> Indian art.)  To make a voided cross, arrange four gammas, not
> touching, so that the points point toward a common center.

What are the "points" of a gamma?  Is this what he's describing?  It's the
best I could think of from that description (monospaced font required!).
If you need them to be "not touching" to make the voided cross, how are
they linked together?

                         O X
                        OO XXXX

                      ZZZZ QQ