From: Jonathan Coxhead <jonathan@doves.demon.co.uk>
Subject: (whorl) Kalevala
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 18:56:01 +0100 (BST)

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> >> And
> >>  a trilogy based upon the (modern synthetic) Scandinavian (Finnish?)
> >>  epic poem that starts with a "K"(?)
> >The poem is the Kalevala.  The books are by Ian Watson.

   The Kalevala is not entirely synthetic, though it is of modern
composition (1835). The roots are all in "real" Finnish folklore though, and
the author (Elias Lönnrot) is a national figure.

   Ian Watson wrote 2 (fat!) books inspired by it: _Lucky's_Harvest_ and
_The_ _Fallen_Moon_.

   Er ... why were we talking about this?

<--prev V6 next-->