From: Wesley Parsons (7065) <WRP@adorno.com>
Subject: (whorl) Wolfe's Answer re Torturers' Guild
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:51:31

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

My question and Wolfe's answer were:

<<14. "Is there a member (current, former, or future) of the Order of
Seekers for Truth and Penitence on the Whorl?"  I'm going to
interpret this question in the broadest possible sense, since that
seems to be what Parsons wants.  Yes, there is.  It is Silk.>>

It's been suggested that Wolfe is slyly pointing out that Silk is indeed a
"seeker for truth and penitence," and Wolfe's answer has no more
meaning than that.  I would respectfully disagree. it.  Wolfe rarely
emphasizes key information in his writing, but he is always, within the
logic of the narrative, accurate.  Believe what he says.  The Order of
Seekers for Truth and Penitence (capitalized as a proper noun) is a
specific organization.  Silk is a member.  Either Silk is (or has been/will be)
a torturer.  Severian has to be the best candidate.

Wes

<--prev V6 next-->