From: Doug Eigsti <d.eigsti@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: (whorl) Ask Gene Wolfe
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 22:10:26 +0000

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

mantis,

	It is a daunting proposition to boil down all the variables and
uncertainities from the Long Sun into just one question. The Whorl is
nearly as grand and unsearchable as our world, peopled with characters
toiling away in their quarter oblivious to the grand gambits of unseen
forces above. Part of the mystique of the series is the mystery. If I
know Gene Wolfe, never met him, he will not give away anything he
deems important in an answer to a direct question that he has evaded
in 1400 pages of fiction. Such things, it seems, are meant to be an
exercise for the reader. I almost feel guilty in hoping that his
answers are as elusive and diffuse, and delectible, as his text. I am
reminded of LeGuin's THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS where one must take
exacting care in drafting one's question else risk getting an
unexpected answer. None the less, the offer is irresistable. Here's
hopin':

	As has been lamented in these postings the publicized link between
the NEW SUN and LONG SUN turns out to be tenuous when all is said and
done, Typhon/Pas being the only common character. (Scylla seems only
to share the common name).
	My search for a more robust connection lead me to the story told to
Severian by Cyracia of the "race of ancient days [that] reached the
stars, and how they bargained away all the wild half of themselves to
do so, so they no longer cared for wind...love or lust...songs or any
other animal things they believed they had brought with them out of
the rain forests at the bottom of time-though in fact, so my uncle
told me, those things brought them." (SWORD, Ch.VI, p. 38, paperback).
These machines later tried to restore the "wild" thoughts to men, in
order to destroy them, by introducing "artifacts of every kind,
calculated by them to revive all those thoughts that people had put
behind them because they could not be written in numbers". (SWORD, Ch
VI, p.39, paperback).
	The necessity for having living cultures on the Whorl segregated in
city-states, isolated by topographical barriers fortified by Chem
armies programmed to be mutually hostile in order to dissuade an
organized revolt against Mainframe seems to be an overly complex means
of transport, considering that Typhon obviously had access to
"sleeper" technology (Mamelta). My question, in a roundabout way: Was
the live cargo of the Whorl only put on board to preserve the "wild"
half of mankind so the Typhon/Pas entity could establish a vital human
vassal state on the destination world, or did the Inhumi require the
"wild" parts to satisfy their blood lust?

=Talon=
aka Doug Eigsti

<--prev V5 next-->