From: m.driussi@genie.com
Subject: (whorl) a Wolfe league
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 97 14:28:00 GMT

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

Reply:  Item #6714097 from WHORL@LISTS.BEST.COM@INTERNET#

Re: linear measure, FWIW: "In this book, _league_ designates
a distance of about three miles" (THE CLAW OF THE CONCILIATOR,
second appendix).

Re: "Starcross" and "Starcrosser"; I doubt that Gene Wolfe has played
any computer games since he still doesn't have a computer; OTOH, I
know that he wasn't the one who came up with "Starcrosser's
Landfall," so it doesn't matter that he probably hasn't played
"Starcross," and it becomes quite possible that the "Starcrosser"
originator either played it or had second-hand knowledge of it.  If
we find David Hartwell, Gene Wolfe's editor, at a convention we can
employ subtle interrogation.