From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v001.n060
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 11:56:07

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

ranjit:
I am somewhat in favor of just one list, but I can understand your reasons
for a distinct Whorl list for archival purposes. How about two, for the
Whorl and one for all else. It stands to reason that those of us who have
found our way here (there aren't *that* many of us) are pretty well
acquainted with the oeuvre and would like to be able to segue.

Jim:
> 	I'd like to know if the ladies in our discussion feel Wolfe did a good
job
> of getting into the head of a young girl.

I'm the only lady in our discussion, and I thought it was adequate on a YA
level, no more. Not as appalling as Heinlein similar efforts.

> 	Nessus is Buenos Aires. Say "Nos Aires" fast ten times. Location is part
> of the evidence, but so is the fact that Blind Ultan is the famous blind
> librarian of Buenos Aires, Horky-Borky (Jorge Borges), known for his
> labyrinth fiction, tying in to the labyrinthian library, etc.

Do you have this from the Wolfe's mouth?  If you don't, I'll beg to differ
with you. In my opinion,  Nessus is, in a general way, Alexandria. Will
back this up if you don't    have the tap from the source---otherwise, of
course, will concede.

-alga-

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V4 next-->