From: Ranjit Bhatnagar <ranjit@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re:  Digest whorl.v001.n057
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 23:35:38

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

>     How did Silk know Hyacinth's name when they first met?  (Silk is hiding

He made a lucky guess based on the Hyacinth designs embossed on her needler.

>     Here are (IMO)  a few other big hidden questions:

You can find a lot of discussion of these questions -- but
not necessarily answers! -- in the archives, on the web at

	http://moonmilk.volcano.org/whorl/

That's not to say that your questions aren't worth
discussing further.

Good point about the Temptations of Silk: to cast himself
from a high place; to rule the whorl.  Who or what was
tempting him in the first instance?  And what is the other
of the three temptations?  He always seems to be starving,
but he didn't turn down Auk's invitation to dinner...

I noticed a lot of very vivid descriptions of food in the
Long Sun books.  Somehow Severian's story never made me
hungry.

	r.

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V3 next-->