From: douge@nti.com (Doug Eigsti)
Subject: Re: (whorl) Quetzal, Typhon, and cross-links
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 10:43:43

[Posted from Whorl, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

> > From: revjack@radix.net (revjack@radix.net)
> > Did I read this correctly? Pas is none other that that two-headed
> body-stealing
> > world-conquring pan-egotist Typhon from the Books of the New Sun? The
> > starcrosser "Whorl" was launched in Severian's era? I'm amazed that I
> didn't see
> >
> > that before.
>
> I think we first learn this in Nightside.  There is a reference to
> "two-headed Pas," and then later when we get a description of the
> "blasphemous" backdrop in the disused manteion in Orchid's, we get a
> description of Pas that is exactly that of Typhon.  Finally, in the
> Dramatis Personae in Exodus, Pas's entry says "the stored personality of
> a tyrant."  There are, of course, many other clues between.  Kypris's
> theophany in (I think) Exodus is particularly revealing.

Dave Lebling and RevJack;

	I would like to add that Scyla, in possession of Chenile, spills
it in LAKE, page 275.3. In the passage she is updating Silk on the
origins on the gods, mentioning that Daddy was Typhon.

=Doug Eigsti=
douge@nti.com

Questions or problems to whorl-owner@lists.best.com

<--prev V1 next-->