From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: "Five" in In Glory Like Their Star [Digest
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 16:24:11

At 04:20 PM 10/9/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>The PIE for "five" is *penkwe, not *pan
>
>The PIE for "all" is *pan or *pant.
>
>I don't have my references here, but I believe
>the two are distinct.
>
>         -John

Hmmm. I'm no expert here at all, but I happened to be listening to a series
of lectures on the History of the English Language from The Teaching
Company, and the speaker said that "five" and "all" (pn and pn) were
basically the same.That's what jogged my dim memory. I don't recall if
that's because of the number of digits in a hand.  At any rate, the real
question is what Wolfe thought, given the way he likes to trade on
etymologies, and this explanation is all I've come up with that begins to
make sense. I guess somebody could ask Wolfe, but he'd probably just smile....

Jim Jordan