From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) In Glory Like Their Star, initial reading
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:00:58

This looks promising. Only two notes:

At 11:04 AM 9/19/2001 +0100, Joshua wrote:
>'skun' This seems to be the only made-up word in the story. Why?

         A variant of 'sun'? Somehow?

>'(The natives) speak for a long time when they have begun' and the narrator
>is also 'unable to control (his own) loquacity.' This implies similarity on
>another level. See below for my idea with respect to this other level.

         I took the loquacity of the natives to indicate ritual. They
approach this "god" with a continual stream of repeated phrases. Also, from
what I recall, their repeated phrases were requests for gifts, which
resembles pagan religion: bring your gifts/bribes and feed your gods and
ask them over and over for benefits. The Biblical or Judeo-Christian notion
of sacrifice is rather different: self-killing by proxy as a confession of
guilt and a plea for mercy. Requests for benefits come afterwards, and
Jesus said not to be overly repetitious, and the psalms are quite
unrepetitious in form. Thus, I took it that a kind of pagan religion was
being pictured by Wolfe.

Nutria