From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Singleshot: To William
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 22:50:26

At 9:38 AM -0700 8/7/01, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>First of all, we're talking a little longer ago than mice. But let
>that pass; let us assume that we're talking about the small mammals,
>some of them pretty mouse-like, that existed contemporaneously with
>the later Age of Reptiles.

I could address some of your other comments in your reply to me and I
may do so later, but I feel I have to address your implication that
either I or Ray Bradbury believe that mice were contemporaneous with
dinosaurs.

I am sorry if my previous message was confusing. In it I quoted from
an article about a possible movie based on Ray Bradbury's story "The
Sound of Thunder." The passage from the article I quoted was mostly a
quotation from the story itself. So the stuff about mice was by
Bradbury. It was part of a lecture given to the time travellers
before they set off on their dinosaur hunt to explain why it was so
vitally important that they stay on the path (a metal walkway
levitating over the surface of the ground). The butterfly didn't get
crushed until quite a bit later in the story and wasn't discovered
until the end.

So Bradbury didn't think mice were contemporaneous with dinosaurs,
even if my clumsy juxtaposition of passages from different places in
his story made it seem as if he did. And I was just addressing
Bradbury's text.

--
William Ansley