From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: bee's Gormenghast, alga's gormenGhastly
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:08:57

mantis said:

> Ha-ha!  I found the book unreadable twelve years ago, abandoning it
> soon after the library fire; yet I found the tv show (first half, so
> far) quite entertaining, at times I laughed out loud.

Hmmm...  You might want to give it another try--it's been five years
now, but I recall my interest rising considerably at some point after
the fire.  _Titus Groan_ has the considerable virtue of containing the
best "now it's personal" fight scene in all of fantasy literature.  I
liked both _Titus Groan_ and _Gormenghast_ and still took considerably
longer to get through them that I do most books of that length--I had
to mix them with other reading to avoid overdosing on whatever it is
about Peake...

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32