From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) eating memories in the real world (Ray Bradbury spoiler)
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 23:13:17

Warning! I have a spoiler for a Ray Bradbury short story at the end
of this message.

At 10:27 AM +0100 6/25/01, Joshua A. Solomon wrote:
>evidence summarised below:
>
>http://iubio.bio.indiana.edu/R24652-28994-/Network-News/bionet/cellbiol/9310.newsm

Even though Joshua provided us all with a wonderfully apropos link to
a discussion of this very question among real neurobiologists (well,
at least one of them is) I think that the gist of what you will find
if you follow his link bears repeating. To wit, these memory transfer
experiments did not prove to be reproducible. Therefore there is
every reason to doubt that this phenomenon actually exists. I quote
from the discussion linked to by Joshua Solomon below:

>The most recent reference to the whole memory-transfer business
>that I could find was in _Basic Neurochemistry_, 4th edition,
>Siegel et al., eds., Raven Press, NY, 1989.  p. 924.
>In it, Bernard Agranoff writes, "The claims in the 1960s of memory
>transfer via injection of RNA or of protein have long since
>subsided for want of evidence."

>Steve Matheson   Program in Neuroscience   University of Arizona
>sfm@neurobio.arizona.edu

There have been SF stories based specifically on this research (I can
remember one definite example, anyway, even though I cannot bring the
author or title to mind at this moment*) but they are almost
certainly all as inaccurate as stories that portray Mercury as having
the same side always facing the sun.

--
William Ansley

*It involved a giant, mutant planaria eating a young boy and then
coming to the breakfast table (as a blob) and asking for french toast
in the boy's voice or something similar. The last line was a direct
rip-off of the last line of a famous Ray Bradbury story involving a
man whose skeleton was removed.