From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Copperhead
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 11:59:09

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Kevin J. Maroney wrote:

> I agree with all of that, but the last time I checked, Adam was not God.
> The major theological distinction between the Abrahamist religions and the
> religion of Mani is at the level of a dark equivalent to God. The
> Abrahamist religions all posit the existence of completely evil things
> which exist as mirrors to good things less than God. Calling "Good Adam,
> Bad Lilith" "Manichaen" seems to me a misunderstaning of both the
> Abrahamist religions and Mani's religion, since it ascribes a common
> practice of the former group to being solely the province of the latter.

Ok, I see your point.  My only disagreement is that Christians in the
tradition of Augustine and Aquinas would deny that Lilith or Satan could
be "completely evil" (nor Adam "completely good"), which is what set me
off.  I agree that "Good Adam, Bad Lilith" is not necessarily Manachaen,
if you don't read it in the "completely good vs. completely evil" sense.

-Rostrum