From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: (urth) RE: (whorl) Copperhead (spoilers, with luck)
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 18:53:21 +0100

At 18:15 2001-05-04, Blattid wrote:

>My first reaction to "Copperhead" was roughly equivalent to my first
>reaction to several other Lupine shorts, notably the ever-present
>"Suzanne Delage": "Huh?"
>
>I'm not ashamed to say that I Don't Get It, and (unusual for me with
>Wolfe) I'm not at all convinced that "it"'s there _to_ get. there's
>bunch of stuff at the beginning that isn't followed up at all; I have
>no idea why the woman with the strange voice from another dimension
>behaves as she does; and the ending vaguely-out-of-Genesis simply
>doesn't follow from the story in any way I can perceive.

The Changer swaps things with cognates, i.e. rough equivalents.
The thing moving under the leaves is surely a Copperhead snake,
which has been swapped with a Serpent from another universe.
That also accounts for the identity of the man swapped for the
president - supreme leader, big boss - at the end, and of course
he's annoyed.

Things that confused me:

1. Are Boone and General Martens the same person?

2. Who gets murdered and why?

3. The dialect gets impenetrable at the worst possible moment
   - what do "groose" and "grawnt" mean?

Spectacled Bear.