From: Spectacled Bear <spectacled.bear@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Philip Pullman
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:17:41 +0100

At 03:07 2001-04-25, akt@attglobal.net wrote:
>Almost through -The Golden Compass-. Lapland witches!! That bear!!
>Ooooh!

There are bears?

<borrows son's new book>

It's rather good, isn't it! Why am I here in the office when I should
be at home reading the last two chapters? Most unfair.

I particularly like the fact that the Aurora does play an important
part in the story - very clever. And the alethiometer is a wonderful
thing. It has that feel of something discovered, rather than invented.
It's completely convincing and believable.

Spectacled Bear.

P.S. I've taken the liberty of cc'ing this to alga to say thank you
for provoking me to read this (which wasn't really just because there
are bears :-), and for the background on the witches.