From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Pullman's Screed
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 22:36:37

At 2:13 PM -0400 4/26/01, David Lebling wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, William Ansley wrote:
>
>>  And Pullman evidently regards the success of the first
>>  two volumes in the series to be a license to turns parts of the third book
>>  into a virulent anti-Catholic screed (thinly disguised but unmistakable).
>
>Really? Anti-Christian, perhaps, but specifically anti-Catholic? Am I
>misremembering, but in this universe, didn't John Calvin become pope? It
>seems to me Pullman is mostly attacking the authoritarian streak that is
>wide in many religions, including Calvinism and Catholicism.
>
>And I wouldn't characterize it as even "thinly-disguised.".

Yup, I was wrong.

I wrote too quickly based on already-fading memories (my poor, poor
brain) which turned out to be even less reliable than usual.

I felt I should warn people on this list of a facet of the books that
was potentially offensive; that was unnecessary. All of the people
who post messages to this list are obviously too sophisticated to be
offended by any such thing.

I was bothered enough to do so not because of the anti-religious
message itself, but because of the vehemence with which Pullman
presents it and because these books are putatively for children, who
are likely, even in this day and age, to possess much less
sophistication than those who write here.

William Ansley