From: "Timothy Reilly" <treilly@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v030.n066
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:25:25 +1100

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 Redhaven1@aol.com wrote:
>
> > I'm just starting Free Live Free and it seems darker and grittier than
> > anything by Wolfe I've read yet.  Actually, I'm not really enjoying it
at
> > all.  I would just give Wolfe the benefit of the doubt (he's never let
me
> > down yet) and read it trusting it will be better, but I'm coming to this
list
> > for advice.  Maybe this book was his one dud.  What did you guys think
of it?
> >  Is Free Live Free worth it?  (i.e.  Does it get better?)

I gave up after a few pages, quickly deciding that I didn't like this sort
of Wolfe - folksy prose and weak humour, as opposed to his more literary
efforts like TBNS.  I was tring to introduce a well read friend of mine to
Wolfe last year, and her local library only had FLF.  She reported to me
that she read half of it and then skipped to the end "because it was very
bad".  So 0/2 from this end.

Tim