From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) 5HC recent bits
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 08:52:23

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> >If lonely little Shadowchild Wolf terminated the Song of Bending Sky-Paths
> >that None May Come, why does the sun still look pink afterwards?
>
> This suggests (to me, at least) that pinkness has nothing to do with the
> disguise itself (although the fact that we cannot see a pink star within 20
> light years might be taken as a clue that the cloaking is going on).  The
> image-changing field (rather like a shape-changer, come to think of it)
> must begin a few AU out, making the star look like a dim M type of star.

Reading "A Story," I got the impression that the field was hiding St. Anne
from an already-settled-by-humans St. Croix, not shielding the whole
system from Earth.  In the story, the humans show up almost instantly
after Shadowchild terminates the song (which seems odd, even if they were
just on the sister planet), and I also thought it odd that no one on
St. Croix mentions St. Anne suddenly appearing out of nowhere - if that
had happened, you'd expect it to be known as "the planet that suddenly
appeared out of nowhere."  On the other hand, I guess the astronomers
might have thought they simply hadn't noticed it until then.

Am I misinterpreting all this?

-Rostrum