From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: (urth) A new theory about Napoleon's hand
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 00:23:44

While I hesitate to bring up this old chestnut again, I am still
fascinated by Weer's remark about Napoleon's hand on page 2 of
_Peace_. He remarks that he knew why Napoleon kept one hand thrust
into his waistcoat, but whenever he told someone the reason, "the
innocent remark invariably offended."

When we discussed this before, no one could think of a suitable
"innocent remark" that described any of the possible reasons that
Napoleon might have had his hand in his waistcoat that would
invariably offend. Perhaps the remark itself wasn't what offended but
the fact that Weer presented it as the one true explanation of why
Napoleon had his hand in his waistcoat. I think if there was ever any
generally agreed upon explanation of why Napoleon had his hand in his
waistcoat, then some memory of it would have survived to the present
day.

So Weer is presenting an definite answer to a question asked by
people who think it is a question no one knows the answer to. Another
thing that might make Weer's way of answering the question offend is
that he just doesn't seem to have had good "people skills."

I don't doubt Weer himself believed that his explanation of the
Napoleon's hand conundrum was the correct one.

--
William Ansley