From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: PEACE: Death; lying (was Re: (urth) Grounded in the text?)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:35:47

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Adam Stephanides wrote:

> Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> >
> > So do I; but I think the evidence that Weer is dead is overwhelming,
> > and will stand with that until and unless.
>
> I, too, am convinced that Weer is dead, but I wouldn't say the evidence
> is overwhelming, especially if you don't regard Wolfe's interview
> statements as probative.  If somebody were to insist that Weer was
> alive, there is no one passage in the book (even the elm-tree passages)
> I know of that I could point out to him/her and say "See?  This proves
> you're wrong."  Rather, it's that Weer's being dead ties together a
> number of details which, while not contradicting his being alive, remain
> unexplained in that case.

Oh, come on.  Is there anyone who doesn't get a shiver when they first
connect the two elm tree passages?  That's too good to be an
accident.  Maybe it's a Weer getting a Ghost of Christmas Future look at
how his life might look after he's dead, but the ghost has got to be in
there somewhere.  It's too good not to be right.

(Of course I got also got a shiver when you suggested the tree may have
fallen after all men are dead, but that's different.  I think.)

-Rostrum