From: Alex David Groce <Alex_Groce@gs246.sp.cs.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: (urth) Scattered Shot
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:55:00

Dan'l/Blattid wrote (among other things):

> Alec, may I refer you to "The Last Thrilling Wonder Story" or "The
> Sister's Tale"?

Good point.  Still, it's not something he does very often.  Certainly
Wolfe's works on the whole do not tend to attack the underlying
reality of the worlds created in the narrative (thier epistemology and
metaphysics, maybe, but in an almost Newman-esque way that is hardly
"socially constructed reality").

> ... which is why, btw, I so desperately want to figure out the who
> and why of PEACE's narration. It seems unlikely, given Wolfe's other
> first person work, that this *isn't* important.

Agreed.  I'm shoring up my comments till I can get through a PEACE reread.

And, as to what Lafferty is:

> How about "Science Fiction's other weird literary Catholic"?

I repectfully submit that Lafferty is a good bit weirder than Wolfe.

--
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32