From: <akt@attglobal.net>
Subject: (urth) Lovely Green Ste. Anne
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 20:48:42

Tony, I find this eerie. When I skimmed your post in the digest I did
not notice your subject line. I thought you were proposing 5HC as a
prototype of the Short Sun situation, and I was all prepared to come
back at you with an argument involving how certain patterns and subjects
almost always stay on a writer's mind and constantly show up in the work
without there necessarily being a connection (there are exceptions, but
not so many). But you weren't. And now I have to do that switchover
debate thing and make the point myself! And I don't even get to refute
it. Oy!

-alga

> From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
> Subject: 5HC: a timeline with no dates

> Every time I re-read ‘A story’ in 5HC, I find myself piecing things
> together again from scratch and from the few notes I’ve pencilled in
the
> margin of my worn paperback. I made this little timeline to give
myself
> a solid base to work from, and I thought I might as well inflict it on
> the rest of you, too. It has no dates, but lots of quotes to show that
> I’m not just making all this stuff up.
>
> 1. “`We were mostly long, and lived in holes between the roots of
> trees.’” Millions of years ago, a native species existed on St. Anne.
It