From: "Tony Ellis" <tony.ellis@futurenet.co.uk>
Subject: (urth) re: PEACE and Swedenborg
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:07:37 +0000

Adam Stephanides wrote:

> Did Wolfe know this story?  I don't know.  The anthology in which I saw
> it, THE BOOK OF FANTASY, was actually co-edited by Borges; but this
> anthology was not translated into English until 1988.  And I don't
> recall Wolfe ever mentioning reading Swedenborg.  Nor do I know if the
> story was ever summarized in some more accessible source.

Borges includes this story in his collection A Universal History of
Infamy, published in 1954, so it's pretty much a dead cert that Wolfe
knew it.

The parallels are quite striking, aren't they? Well spotted.

Does anyone know if Borges' version is a straight retelling of the
original, or if there are any subtle changes?

--
Tony Ellis
On-line Editor, PC Format magazine