From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) re: "And When They Appear"
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 15:33:32

Michael Andre-Driussi wrote:

> I, too, thought of Bradbury with this story . . .

And the link you provide cites "There Will Come Soft Rains."  I actually
hadn't been thinking of that one; just the idea of a boy meeting a whole
bunch of fictional or legendary Christmas figures on Christmas struck me
as very Bradbury-like.  Of course, if Bradbury had written it, it would
have ended very differently (although he did write some dark stuff early
in his career).

While I'm thinking of it: the man who takes Sherby is referred to
several times as "Corporal Charlie" (as he instructs Sherby) but once as
"Uncle Charlie."  Is this last a typo?

--Adam