From: "Jonathan Laidlow" <LAIDLOJM@hhs.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: (urth) Gene Wolfe Symposium update
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 12:04:46 GMT

Below is the message I have just sent out to those who have
expressed an interest in attending the Gene Wolfe symposium later
this month at the University of Birmingham, UK.

If there are any other lurkers on the list who are interested in
attending, please get in touch.

Dear all,

I hope you are keeping well, and looking forward to visiting
Birmingham on Satuday 26th August for the Gene Wolfe
symposium. I just wanted to contact you all and let you know a few
more details.

The symposium will being around 11am, and we should be serving
some coffee from around 10.15 - 10.30 until then.

It will take place in the Arts Building, on the 1st floor in the Dept of
English at the University of Birmingham. Maps available on request.
Travel details also available.

Costs? I'm hoping that the Uni will come through with some money
to pay for food and some sandwiches at lunchtime, which will make
the symposium free. I will update you nearer the time.

The abstracts for the symposium are on the web in the Ultan's
Library discussion forum on delphi. If any of you can't access this
please contact me. The URL is
http://www.delphi.com/ultan

I'm experimenting with the forum at the moment (tho' nobody wants
to post!) as a possible venue for an electronic version of the
conference to take place next year. This will allow our brethren
outside these Isle to participate, should they want to.

You can log in as a 'Guest' and read the posts, thus avoiding
registration.

There are only 4 papers at present, which is a great shame, so I
would expect the symposium to conclude around 4pm. One of
these papers will be read aloud by myself, as Dr Nick Gevers is
unable to attend due to being on the other side of the world. We are
very grateful for his participation despite this. Nigel Price and I are
toying with a round table discussion of a certain aspect of Wolfe's
work, a certain short story which perhaps we could ask you all to
read beforehand. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Finally, we would like to thank you for your interest in the
symposium and ask that if you know of anyone else who might be
interested in attending to contact them on our behalf.

Message ends.
Be seeing you.

Jonathan

Finally, if you know of anyone else who might be interested
 --
Jonathan Laidlow
Modern Languages Office - German & Italian