From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) re Evan S Barnable
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:45:11

Allan wrote:
>I've just been re-reading Little Big (prompted by the discussion on this
>group) and by some wierd coincidence, just reached the page in Letters
>to Santa where Smoky reveals his real name.
>  Some-one asked what the S stands for. Does no-one get the joke?
>
>  Evan S. = evanesce = disappearing from sight, fading, or maybe
>ghost-like or even Smoky

Yowie!  Looks right to me . . . and since "Evan S." = "Smoky" (and it was
probably the too-clever relatives who cooked up "Smoky" directly from "Evan
S.") then it would be redundant for S itself to equal "Smoky."  Meaning
that the S remains another hidden name, another one of those tough little
easter eggs without any real answer, core, yoke, or candy picture inside:
John Crowley often hides these in his fictions.