From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) credit Adam, then argue
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 17:32:15

At 01:59 PM 5/2/00 -0700, Mantis wrote:
>Nutria,
>
>Questions of heaven and hell.  Granted, there is ambiguity as to whether
>the formerly human are evolving upward toward angel status or devolving
>downward into nature idols.  This is a point you've made and I agree with
>it.
>
>That whatever-it-is that happens to Alice & Co. isn't simply death seems to
>be the case, because if so, then Smoky would show up at the party, since we
>know he just died.  Maybe.  That is, there is some sort of division between
>Smoky and the group.  So you (Nutria) suppose that he has gone to heaven,
>while the group (Alice & Co., not alga & friends) takes a detour through
>hell.

	Sorry I was not more clear. I don't think Alice etal. really died, but
that their transition is parallel to Smoky's death. "heaven and hell" are
probably too loaded as terms to describe the two avenues.

>Possible.  But you know how JC keeps turning things over, examining things
>in other works: don't forget "Her Bounty to the Dead" (in ANTIQUITIES).

	How could I forget it? I cannot find this book, and I've never read this
story. Finding JC stuff, outside the novels, is a labor of hercules. I
don't care to pay $100 for a copy. Maybe I'll get one on interlibrary loan
and PHOTOCOPY IT! Yeah. That's what I'll do. And then they can SUE me.
	(Anybody want a pirated photocopy of Carmichael Smith's *Atomsk*?)

Nutricious